Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Chinese church experience

We have visited two Filipino-Chinese churches in the past two Sundays, they are very different from the Filipino church we visited the first Sunday when we first arrived. We were told that Filipino-Chinese are much more well to do, they own lots of businesses and are considered wealthy here in the Philippines. I am convinced after visiting two Chinese churches. Both churches are clean and have air-conditioning. The people are obviously richer, from the way the walk and dress, you can just tell.

However, I can also see how they love the Lord just the same, it does not matter if they are richer.
The EFCA-IM missionaries currently has no presence in the church of the largest minority group in the Philippines, making up 2% of the population, that's about 1.5 million. "The Chinese Filipinos are unique in Southeast Asia in being overwhelmingly Christian. " With myself being Chinese, both Dan and I thought it might not be a bad idea if we keep our minds open for attending a Chinese church here in Cebu, they need missionary presence just as much as Filipino churches.

To show you how different it is in a Chinese church, let me tell you this story. We were at the first church we visited. I was asking some of the people there where can I find good Chinese food. Several places were suggested to us, but since we have only been here for such a short period of time, we didn't really know the names of the roads they were talking about. A very humble looking gentleman walked us out of the door, and said to us, "Let me talk to your driver and tell him where to go for those chinese restaurants." Dan smiled and said, "I am the driver." Yes, they all have drivers, and several maids at home. Their kids attended Sunday School earlier in the morning, then they were taken back home for the maids to take care of while the parents come to the Sunday Service. I am not going to comment on this practise, but this is how it is like in this particular large Chinese church.

The second Chinese church we visited is smaller, but still neat and tidy and air-conditioned. They practically owns the whole hill up on Cebu, other than the church building, there is also a school, and they are also building a 4-story high seminary. It was quite a sight!

We are still in the process of finding our home church, it might take a while, and it might not take long at all.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear news from you overseas. You made it! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete