Saturday, March 14, 2009

An introverted city girl

Nightsky of Hong Kong vs. The North Sea

Writing to a professor at Trinity got me thinking about what I am actually. Most people who have had two words with me would immediately classify me as a flaming extrovert, but all the personality tests that I have done over the years, would put me, undoubtedly, in the introvert category, well, that sounds pretty hypocritical, doesn't it?

The truth is, though I love everything about city life, e.g., convenient public transportation, museums, restaurants, shops, etc., I absolutely hate the crowd, the noise and everything else that come with living in a big city. I don't like partying and I haven't have urges to buy new clothes every so often. I do like to know that when I need to go to a museum, eat out at a restaurants and shop for towels, I have nice places to go. I like to have choices, though I don't necessarily utilize the power of making those choices very often. I miss living in Hong Kong, in D.C., and in Chicago, I miss what a metropolitan city has to offer, of having things to do and see when I want to do things and see things. I like to know exactly where I would go if I ever want to buy Elizabeth Arden Green Tea perfume. I like to be able to decide 10 minutes before dinner that I don't want to cook, and then walk down the street and eat out at an affordable restaurant with reasonably good food. I like to be able to go to a museum when I feel like being 'cultured'.

My favourite thing to do, in fact, is to stay home, dressed in my comfy clothes, and read. I could easily read for hours, it is so enjoyable to be lost in a book, just stopping to do the inevitable, "input" and "output". I was able to do have the reading life-style for a period of time before Dan decided to do this marathon studies, and before Kioni was born. This life-style, as unrealistic as it is, I intend to continue if I can.

I also like swimming laps, another "lost in time" experience. Swimming laps helps me think, the rhythm of my own breathing and water swooshing sounds are soothing. Long walks (2-3 hours) serves the same need, when I had MeMe dog, we took long walks everyday, but in later years of her life, she went blind, and the long walks stopped.

According to StrengthsFinder, I have the strength of intellection, which means, I need alone time, a lot of it, to think. That doesn't mean any earth-shattering idea would come out on the other end, I just need a lot of alone time to do my thinking. If I don't get it, I become irritable, depressed and feel absolutely stupid. And I haven't had a lot of alone time since Kioni was born, that means, I have been feeling stupid for the past 5 years.

All in all, if I have to decide if I want to live among the Scottish rolling hills with horse and sheep, or the concrete jungle in Hong Kong with smog and noise, I still would prefer Hong Kong, or D.C. for that matter. I can create my own oasis to hide in the concrete jungle, but it would take a lot to build a museum and a swimming pool in the Scottish rolling hills.

6 comments:

  1. > since Kioni was born... I have been
    > feeling stupid for pass 5 years.


    Yes, I heard a lot of mothers reflecting that too, including Lulu <-- but she denies it just now when I'm writing this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an introvert too according to the tests. At the beginning, the test result surprised even me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here, I was surprised when I saw the first few tests, but now, I am totally at ease at what I am. Sometimes it is hard because Dan often forgets I need a lot of time alone, he calls me anti-social.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through writing, you are creating an oasis too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So would Jesus be an introvert or extrovert if He takes the test?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an introvert, I think he is an introvert. An introvert is charged by being alone, Jesus I think was the same way. Though he was with the crowd and had a good time in wedding parties, He wanted to be alone to "recharge".

    ReplyDelete