
(Our rental house in Cebu is the one on the left, a three-story townhouse. The two people on the roof were installing a satellite dish.)
We are getting onto our third week in Cebu. Last Sunday we visited a Chinese church, it was quite impressive to see the big tall building with very familiar ways of conducting the service. What's more interesting about the church is the people. We were told that Chinese in the Philippines are rich, we had no idea what that is like until last Sunday.
First, we didn't see any children during the service, we asked them was there a Sunday School for the children, several people said, yes, at 8:00am, the service was at 9:30am, but we didn't see any children at the service? Where are the children? They were not at the service, but the Sunday school is over. Answer: they all went home. Only a couple remained at the service. They have maids at home to take care of the kids while the parents attend the service.
Secondly, I was asking some of the ladies where can I find good Chinese food, they were very helpful in pointing out places and how to get there. A gentleman asked Dan if he can tell our 'driver' the directions, so we can go there. Dan said, "I am the driver."
We are getting more use to this place now. The heat is still unbearable at times, but I have learned to hide in the air-conditioned room when I can't stand it anymore. Kioni is still very irritable when she is hot and sweaty. She can't even concentrate on her Kumon! She is much slower than normal in finishing her work. In the past 4 days, I have been working on the sound "oi" as in "soil", for some odd reason, this is very difficult for her, or maybe she is just too hot to concentrate. I don't know.
I know where to get meat, Mariss will get most veges for me. The wheat bread is pitiful here, it falls apart when touched, so it becomes impossible to spread anything on it. I am hoping to have the courage to deal with the heat and bake my own bread, we'll see how it goes. I will go to the supermarket next time and see if I can find all the necessary ingredients to bake whole wheat bread.
I have been coughing like crazy in the past two days, it interrupted my sleep, so got to go and get some sleep now.
Thanks for updating, and keep updating!
ReplyDeleteMore importantly, take good care of your health. God bless you and your family!