Monday, October 16, 2006

Being Rich

It has been four full weeks since we arrived in Cebu, we are still adjusting to the sound and smell, the poverty and crowd, the heat and humidity. Today I wanted to save some electricity, so I sat in our room with our door to the balcony wide open and work on the computer a bit, but after about 15 minutes, I was soaked in sweat, it was running down my neck. Eventually, Kioni woke up and I went into her air-conditioned room to cool down. I felt so blessed to be able to have A/C while we sleep, or else, I cannot imagine what kind of impact it might have on our family life and ministry if everyone in the family cannot sleep due to the heat.

We are learning about the Philippines everyday, what to do, what to say, what is culturally appropriate, what are we 'rich' people supposed to do and not do. It feels awkward to be in the 'rich' category, it doesn't feel that great because we know we are not rich. However, when you can afford to spend $20US dollar on a meal, you are 'rich'.

Let me give you an example: We were at the mall buying some dishes that were on sale, I was picking out several plates that's worth about 50 US cents each. I was maneuvering the stroller through the narrow isles, (our US size stroller is way too big for most places), in the mean time, Kioni was trying to touch everything that she could reach. I also had a shopping basket with me with several plates in it, and I was trying very hard not to break them, and trying not the run into other dishes that were on the shelf with the stroller. A sales person appeared from nowhere and started speaking in Cebuano. By the way, he spoke Cebuano to me because he might think I was a rich Filipino-Chinese. I replied in English and told him I didn't understand Cebuano, he then repeated what he said in English, "Ma'am, I will be at your service to carry your shopping basket for you while you shop." What!? Carrying my shopping basket for me while I shop? He is going to follow me around while I am shopping?

This incident immediately reminded me of what happened one time when I was flying United Airlines back to Hong Kong. I only had a small carry-on suitcase with me. It was heavy because I packed it good. I was having a hard time putting it in the overhead bin because of the weight and because of my height (I should say, lack of). The bag was mostly shuffled inside the bin, but I did need another push for it to go all the way in. A flight attendant stood three feet away from me watching me the whole time while I was 'weight-lifting' the bag into the bin. After a while, she said this to me while looking at her beautifully manicured fingernails, "If you can't put the bag in there, don't pack it so heavy." She did not attempt to help me at all. By the way, she was taller than me at least by a head, it would not be hard for her to give my bag a little push.

OK, you can say it is only the difference between being in the Philippines, a service-oriented country, and being in the U.S., not a service-oriented country. But in my gut, I know there are more that. You don't suppose Bill Gates would get the same treatment, do you?

It feels strange to be 'rich' when you are not, in fact, before we came here, Dan and I were in the 'on a budget' category. We have exhausted our savings on Dan's education, and we have to watch every penny we spent. So it is a big change now that we are here.

People do treat you differently when you are 'rich', don't know why, but they do give us instant respect. What does money do to people's head, mind and heart? It is so sad to see this happen. I am not saying this only happens in the Philippines, it is a problem since mankind was created.

Living like a supposedly rich person will definitely help me put things in perspective in the future, now that I am on the other side of the world , i.e., the rich people's world, I know how better to think of the rich. It is a very interesting place to be, I mean to be 'rich'.

1 comment:

  1. Or think about how it would be or how it could be if people think you're poor when you're actually rich...

    ReplyDelete