Monday, January 29, 2007

Sharing the gospel in Kumon

Every Monday morning I took Kioni to the Kumon center for her Kumon class. We have been going there for three months. The receptionist lady Josephine is always welcoming and kind. I always wanted to talk to her more, but the center is always busy, it is hard to talk at a more personal level.

Today, since the center is not busy, I started a conversation with her. I asked about her family, one thing led to another, we were talking about her being a Catholic. She said she actually went to a Christian church for over a year when she was in college, but her parents scolded her, telling her she is born as Catholic and should stay that way.

She was very open to me, it is obvious that God has put this young lady in my path. We talked about the differences between the Catholic church and the Christian church. She was attentive and was interested.

Josephine said she loved the Christian church she attended, and has tried other churches since she came to Cebu to work, but 'it is easier to go to the Catholic church, less pressure.' 'I have little faith to stand up to my parents.'

I am trying to find a church for her here in Cebu, she said she will go. She said she is old enough and not be afraid of upsetting her parents.

We talked for over an hour, surprisingly, only one person came in who needed her attention, even the phone was quiet.

3 comments:

  1. actually catholics are christians as well. to be more accurate, we are protestants. catholics and protestants are all christians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. catholics are christians as well. i did the last comment but clumsily sent it as anonymous. first time on a blog....tech-challenged...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daphne,
    I think what Josephine was sensing is the difference between what her experience is with what they teach in the Catholic church in the Philippines and the Protestant church there. I would consider some a Christian if they profess their salvation lies only in Jesus Christ, nothing else. The Christians in the Catholic church in the Philippines worships a lot of other things, to the point where they don't even know the salvation of Jesus, and Jesus alone. It is almost a different version of us Chinese worshiping various gods, and throw Jesus in the midst also.
    I have good Christian friends who go to the Catholic church, I have no doubt in my mind that I will see them in heaven. So it is not really which church you go to, Catholic or Protestant, rather, what you actually believe.

    ReplyDelete