Thursday, October 23, 2008

No Presents!

Ellie (6) is Kioni's little friend from across the street. A few days ago, the subject of Santa Claus came up when Kioni was playing in their house. Kioni, as any truthful Christian kid would, told Ellie that Santa Claus is not real, he didn't bring presents, it's actually her mom and dad who give her the presents.

Today Ellie is over playing in our house, she walk over to where I am sitting, look at me with the most serious face I have ever seen on her, and with a solemn voice, she said, "You know, Santa is not going to give you presents if you don't believe in him, NO PRESENTS!" "He CAN fit through the chimney, and you never see him because he is invisible."

I feel bad about what I am compelled to tell her, so I told her I will look Santa Claus up on the internet and read her some of the things they said about Santa Claus. I read her a few lines, and she said, "So you mean my mum and dad wants me to be surprised, so they said the presents are from Santa?"

For all those who don't agree with telling kids that Santa does not give us presents on Christmas Eve, maybe when you believe that Santa is real, than you can start telling kids that Santa is real, or else, plainly put it, you are just lying. I am rarely that blunt, but making kids believe, year after year, about something that you don't even believe yourself, upsets me. You know what's next? When you try to tell your kid a truth next time, guess what? Cry Wolf, the more white lies you tell, the less truth your kid would believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment