Saturday, March 19, 2005

SPT 07

Dear SPT,

It is finished! About 1-hour ago the order to stop writing and print was given. (The exam was held in one of divinity school’s computer lab). Over the 3 hours of the exam I wrote 6 full pages (typed and single spaced)
answering 5 questions. Overall, I feel that I performed quite well. That is, I believe that I passed!

The school handbook notes that there are 4 grades that one can receive on the exam. In order to get a pass on an essay question, a score of a “B” is required. The categories of grading the entire exam are as follows:

Pass – Student learning objectives related to the major comprehensive examination have been met or exceeded. No further work is required.

Pass with Recommendations – Student learning objectives related to the major comprehensive examination have been met; though potential areas for improvement exist. Recommendations given are optional, but in the best interest of the student should be completed. No further work is required.

Conditional Pass – Student learning objectives related to the major comprehensive examination have not been met; and remedial work is required. While no section has been Failed, remedial work which may include additional reading and/or writing must be submitted before the major comprehensive exam
is rendered completed. Upon successful completion of examination conditions, the department chair forwards a memo to the Records Office indicating the conditions have been met.

Fail – Student learning objectives related to the major comprehensive examination have not been met; and one or more sections of the exam must be rewritten following department guidelines. The retake must be completed at the next regular scheduled time with exceptions granted only by the Academic Exceptions Committee. Note: a Fail on even one section of the Examination renders a Fail on the entire exam until relevant sections can be rewritten.

My gut feeling is that I passed all of the essays outright; at the very least, I got a pass with recommendations. I don’t believe that I failed any section/essay question. When I opened the exam and looked at the questions I felt a rush of confidence, for I discovered that I was likely able to answer well any of the 11 questions that were posed. It was comforting to learn that my study method covered the right material at the appropriate level. I chose the following 5 questions because I could remember more minute details:
(1) Describe the biblical and historical development of the doctrine of the Trinity.
(2) Describe and evaluate the theological views concerning the imputation of original sin (per Rom 5).
(3) Describe the person of Christ and the heresies that the Council of Chalcedon dealt with.
(4) Describe and evaluate the various views of the Lord’s Supper.
(5) Describe and evaluate the various views of the rapture.

The studying method for this exam, the pace and energy of study, the recall this morning at 9:00 am, and the successful outcome of the exam, where all possible because of the grace and goodness of God. I am excited that the Holy Spirit brought you and me together as a team to pull off what presently feels like a win! I also believe that the Lord ordained that the manner in which this exam was to be accomplished for me was through hard work supported by many prayers and reliance upon him. The time limitations on studying for this exam made it tough, but your prayers made it possible.

Thank you for supporting me through this ordeal. I’m glad it is over!!!

Cheers,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment