Dear SPT,
This week was good in many ways. Amy, Kioni, and I returned to health and I continued to make progress in my studies (although my four days with the Air National Guard retarded my progress a little bit). Having completed my major textbook review the week before, this past week I began the process of reviewing my notes and making some outline study cards. As far as specific progress is concerned, I was able to review a little bit more than half of my notes and create 15 outlines. Work is not done yet, but tonight I am a bit more closer.
My plan for the coming week is to finish the current note review and outline creation task, then to move into the tough project of drilling myself repetitively through the outlines and rereading the notes for memorization.
My study to-date has made me thoroughly familiar with all of the content. The trick now is to remember all the pieces and parts so I can come up with them again when answering the essay questions.
The work thus far, although stressful, has been rewarding in two senses: (1) I am finding the review to be a wonderful pedagogical tool, refreshing many things first studied long ago (please note I took my first systematic theology course way back in 1997); and (2) I am being continually reminded of many truths about God and the Christian faith that perhaps time and distractions tends to make distant from our immediate conscious. If any of you have been praying for my deepening connection with God through the review of the material, know that your prayers are being answered.
In my personal devotions, in the material studied, and in some of my brief conversations with some of you this past week, I have been continually reminded of God’s faithfulness and commitment to finish the good work that he has begun. Many of you have even encouraged me by confessing that you believe that I will do just fine on the exam. I do hope that the Lord is communicating through his people! I do have moments when I begin to worry again, but I have posted Bible verses on the kitchen cabinets to remind myself of what you and God have been saying to me. Thinking on these verses has been very helpful. I have continued to make further progress in trusting in God’s goodness and providential care (I really liked reviewing again the doctrine of God’s providential care; what timely material). I shall continue to do my part in being faithful to study hard and pray heavily!
Please focus your prayers this week in the following manner: (1) memorization, memorization, memorization; (2) continued progress in spiritual growth in the midst of this wonderful review of evangelical theology; (3) stamina and energy for the week; (4) refreshing and meaningful breaks with Amy and Kioni; (5) a sense of peace, calmness, and confidence that I am “getting it”; and (6) reasonable progress on amending my thesis per my second readers comments; (7) retention, retention, retention. Please be sensitive to the Spirit and feel free to pray in whichever way he leads you, for he knows my needs best.
Thank you all for your faithfulness and stamina over the past several weeks. Your prayer support has really been wonderful and likely more meaningful than you can know. Know that I am truly thankful. Please remain strong in your praying as I endeavor to do so in my faith and studies—only 13 more days to go!
By prayer,
Dan
No comments:
Post a Comment