Monday, December 05, 2005

It is COLD!

When I lived in Hong Kong, 10C (50F) is cold. Girls are allowed to wear pants instead of skirts for their school uniforms when it drops below that temperature. I remember wear long johns and two pairs of socks at the bottom just to keep warm. It was hard to sit in a class and concerntrate while you were shaking. It does feel cold even at that temperature because normally households in Hong Kong are not equipped with central heat. Well, why would anybody wants that when you are living in a subtropical region of the world? Where only a few days in a year will the temperature be that "low".
However, living in Chicago is a different story. Today, the high is -8.3C (17F) and the low is -14.4C (6F). Now, THAT is COLD! I was not aware of how cold it is when I walked out of the house with just a cotton turtle neck and a medium length wool coat, well I had a scarf, a hat and a pair of gloves on, but it is still cold.
I think you need to be young to like the real winter weather, it is not fun to feel the moisture from the inside of your nose turning into ice, at least it feels that way.

2 comments:

  1. Amy,

    It's "COLD" in Hong Kong today, the government alerts the public with a "Cold spell" notice, and it is 12c.

    I stayed late at office nearly till 8:00pm and what made me go was that I started shivering. Then all I wanted was a hot bowl of chicken soup!!

    The Observatory tells that this low temperature will last for a few days. Haha, this is the winter in Hong Kong, just "cold" enough for ladies to put on long boots (as fashion show) and men to wear leather jackets.

    Ka Lok

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it actually feels colder in Hong Kong when it is around that temperature, no heat is just a killer. The thing is we have heat here, so wearing long boots indoors will give you sweaty feet, not so great, though they are pretty.

    ReplyDelete