Wednesday, June 07, 2006

SOLD!

Our house is sold! 9 days on the market, it is sold tonight!

The story goes like this:

Day 1 (Tuesday) - I told people about it, sent out an email to my co-workers at work. The real estate lady brought over some colourful flyers for potential buyers to take when they come to see the house.

Day 2 (Wednesday) - Late afternoon, someone made an appointment to look at our house tomorrow! Wow! We cleaned until 1:00 in the morning.

Day 3 (Thursday) - They cancelled the showing right before the scheduled time, they changed their mind on the price range. We were disappointed. But then in the afternoon, we got another phone call asking for another showing that night!
In the mean time, I was putting flyers up around campus, but only 5 were allowed. Therefore, I was wrecking my brain trying to think where else should I post something. Well, yes, there is an e-classifieds on the Trinity International University website, but I know not many people know about that site, but hey, something is better than nothing. Later that day, another party called and came to see the house. Good. We went out for our 10th wedding anniversary dinner, so we can get away from the house for a 7:30pm - 8:30pm showing.

Day 4 (Friday) - No activity, no offer, no phone calls. The real estate lady brought over some more flyer packets, because I wanted to post some colourful ones on campus. We told her we are leaving for a trip next Thursday, so if someone wants to see the house, feel free to let them come. She said, "Maybe the house will be sold by then." Dan said to her, "I hope you are a prophet!" She walked away with a smile.

Day 5 (Saturday) - No activity, we went to the park with Kioni.

Day 6 (Sunday) - Went to church, had a restful day. The phone did not ring.

Day 7 (Monday)- I went to work, 4 Trinity related people asked about the house while I was at work. By 4:30pm, I was wrapping up for the day when the phone rang, I thought to myself: "This will be my last phone call of the day."

"I teach at Trinity College. I am looking into buying a house this summer. I saw your ad in the e-classifieds in the Trinity webiste. I would like to know more about your house."
"Well, are you on campus?"
"Yes, I am."
"I have colour photos of the house, if you would like to take a walk to my office, I will show you some photos and talk more about the house."
10 minutes later, he was sitting in my office. We talked about half an hour, from the house to taking a year of sabbatical to go teach overseas! Obviously, our conversation went beyond the townhouse.
"I will ask my real estate agent to set an appointment to look at the house."
"Sure, but don't feel pressured into buying a house. Make sure you feel comfortable when you walk into the house, and can see yourself living in it."

Day 8 (Tuesday) - Our real estate agent called and said there was another showing request at 2:00pm. It was right in the middle of Kioni nap time. Dan scrambled to find a place to let Kioni sleep. After several phone calls, Dan found Iris Feinberg who was available at home. They went over for a few hours. Kioni took a shorter than normal nap. But the house was available to show.

Day 9 (Wednesday) - We were invited to Donna and Ernie Manges' home for dinner. While we were eating dinner, Dan got a message. It is our real estate lady. I thought it was a call for another showing. I thought to myself, it was good that we cleaned up the house before we leave. After hanging up the phone with the real estate lady, Dan said with a smile. "We got an offer!" What?!? Several phone calls for negotiation and the deal is done! (The offer was made by the person whom saw the house yesterday afternoon.)

During the last phone call, the real estate lady said, "The buyer likes your lights." But we are not selling the lights, those are custom made mission style lights. So we credited him $500 to go and buy light fixtures. Dan asked if he can find out the name of the buyer, when Dan told me the name, I was floored - it was the Trinity professor!

We could not believe what God has done for us. He has shown us in so many ways that he wants us to be in Cebu as soon as possible. Using people saying things to us that was prophetic, even though that person had no clue what they were talking about. He let us share this great news while we are with friends. The Manges are not just friends, they are fellow missionaries teaching in Cebu Graduate School of Theology who are on leave! What a wonderful thing to share this piece of great news with them while visiting them. Ernie Manges prayed before we ate, Dan made a comment about him not praying for the selling of the house. Little did Dan know at that time that a decision was already made in the buyer's mind, there was no need to pray for the selling of the house anymore.

We signed some papers tonight, the house is set to close by July 28 (my sister's birthday). I will decide on a date to resign my position, we will have to start packing and ready to go to Michigan.

God is able! There are six other units that are of the same price range as ours selling in our subdivision. Some have been there for months. But ours is sold in 9 days! Dan said it right, other people do not have God as their real estate agent!

There is nothing more I can say, other than that our God is able and powerful. He provides in ways that we cannot even imagine. What else can we do than to praise him!

2 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord that your house has been sold in such a short period. Just like Dan said that God is your real estate agent. I know currently it takes a month to sell a house in DC area. Your house selling is a good testimony.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allelujah! Glory to the Lord Almighty!

    ReplyDelete