Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Travel warning

The US Department of State issued a travel warning on June 16 for the Philippines in light of the various bombings in the past week.

"The Department of State urges American citizens to consider carefully the risks of travel to the Philippines and continues to warn against all but essential travel throughout the country in light of heightened threats to Westerners."

Now that does that mean to us, who are leaving in a few months for the Philippines? Do we know about the danger? Yes, we do. Though we were assured by the missionaries there that westerners in Cebu City are rarely a target, we have thought about the potential danger for being there. I am not too worried about myself, since I don't look "western" at all. However, Dan and Kioni look different. But am I being fearful for them? Not really. We are pretty clear that this is the place where God is sending us for the next two years. Exercise common sense, don't do stupid things, and we are going to put the rest in God's hands.

The safest place on earth is at the center of God's will.

1 comment:

  1. Guess I'm really ignorant about the danger of being a missionary in some parts of the world.

    Just said a short prayer for you!

    ReplyDelete