Thursday, September 21, 2006

First day not soaked in sweat

We did not go out today during the day, we stayed home and unpack the remaining items in the suitcases, all the suitcases are now stored in a little storage room upstairs. Mariss also helped Dan moved four huge boxes of books up to the loft, where Dan’s office will be. Dan is grateful for Mariss’ help, without her help, he probably will let the four boxes sit there for another month or so. He is waiting for Jerry, a local carpenter to build him some bookcases in the loft.

We went out for dinner last night, to Krua Thai restaurant again. We love the food there, but Kioni is starting to have very loose poop, wonder if it has any thing to do with the weather or the food. Kioni did not eat much of the spicy food at all, and she always drinks mineral water, so I wonder if the heat is causing her problem.

I am less tired today, since I took a short nap in the afternoon with Kioni and I was not out in the heat all day long. Things start to look better now. I hate to talk about the heat everyday.

I feel guilty about how quickly we want air-conditioning. Are we still suiting to be missionaries if we need air-conditioning? Should we just tough it out just like the old-timers? What good does it do to our ministry if we simply cannot function? Kioni becomes so irritable when she is hot and sticky, and she switchs back to her sweet old self when she is in an A/C room. It hurts me to see her suffer. On the other hand, I have to be responsible for the resources that our supporters give to us. No doubt we are going to pay for the A/C out of our own pocket, not through the ministry expense, but I am still feel guilty about it. I guess it really is a matter of personal preference, what will others say about the fact that almost all missionaries that we know drink spring water instead of water from the tap? Is that extravagant to do so? I don't know, God will be our judge.

I have learned so much about living in a developing country in just a few days, I am sure there are much to learn still in the next two years. Mostly I see how unprepared I am and how different living in a developed country is from living here in Cebu. I certainly know I cannot be a missionary in the jungles, Cebu is far from being in the jungles, in fact, Chuck Guill said a Vietnamese would love to come and live in Cebu, it is paradise in comparison to Vietnam, but for me who comes from a developed country, it is not without challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment