Sunday, January 04, 2009

Gloomy

Aberdeen winter is gloomy. The above picture was taken at 9:20am on December 30, 2008. That was not a rainy day even, at noon, the sky was actually bright! So you can imagine when it is a rainy day, the whole day will be like the picture above, and worse, because it will be raining. This certainly does not help when you are mourning the loss of a friend, (see the entry below).

We cannot hang laundry outside, the laundry will just stay wet and cold after hanging out for a whole day. We don't use the dryer, though there is one in the garage because cost of electricity is high. So we use the radiators that we have turned on in the house. Don't worry, these are the kinds that have hot water running through them to heat the house, no worries of fire. So on laundry day, we will have clothes all over, back of chairs, over shelves, on the arms of the sofas, anywhere that would provide hanging ability. The real challenge comes when I have to wash bedsheets, ah..... The bed we sleep in is queen size, there really is not much room anywhere in the house that would allow us to hang a queen size sheet. So I fold the sheets up then hang them, they take a whole lot longer to dry, but they do eventually. God made us to be creative.

I always have things to complain about, don't I? It was the heat in Cebu, now it is the gloominess.
Honestly, I would much rather be cold then hot. I can wear 5 layers here in Aberdeen, but I couldn't take off my skin even if I wanted to in Cebu!

4 comments:

  1. I hate gloomy weather also. I discovered this after I spent a whole month of July in Hokkaido. I was told that due to the weather, mental disorder (like depression) was common there. I still remember how I rejoiced in the sunshine in the middle of a zebra crossing in Tokyo afterwards.

    I also hate to find clothes are still wet after hanging for a few humid days. Worst of all, they stink (and you can smell it miles away)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear friend, so good to hear the echo! I now understand why a lot of tourist we see in Hong Kong will wear shorts and short sleeves T-shirt in December in Hong Kong, while we are all in winter coats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those days!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Andy,
    Where are you guys now? Are you done with your PhDs, back in the U.S.?

    ReplyDelete