"Abdul Rahman, 41, has been charged with rejecting Islam, a crime under this country's (Afganistan) Islamic laws. His trial started last week and he confessed to becoming a Christian 16 years ago. If convicted, he could be executed.But prosecutor Sarinwal Zamari said questions have been raised about his mental fitness.
"We think he could be mad. He is not a normal person. He doesn't talk like a normal person," he told The Associated Press." (Fox News)
Police arrested him last month after discovering him in possession of a Bible during questioning over a dispute for custody of his two daughters. Prosecutors have offered to drop the charges if Rahman converts back to Islam, but he has refused." (AP, photo by AP)
He doesn't talk like a 'normal' person? Well, so are many Christians who are touched by God's grace and love. Tell me who in their right minds would quit their good paying jobs and comfortable lifestyles to enter seminary so that they could be better equipped to serve Jesus' church? I see hundreds of them in the four years I have been in TEDS working as a Field Education Coordinator. Not to mentioned I did just that myself 13 years ago, and Dan started on the same path 4 years ago. Tell me who would pour out their resources and pray for those whom they might never meet, simply hoping that the good news that Jesus Christ brought 2000 years ago would reach them? Tell me who in their right mind would hang on to a God whom he cannot touch nor see even as the risk of his own life? Plenty. Plenty of people are acting like they have 'mental problems'. All because of someone named Jesus Christ. Are we all crazy?
What is this Afghan man trying to do? What good does it do to his daughters if he is put to death? I can almost hear people crying out, "It is just a religion, pick one that benefits you, choose a god who can save your life, so you can still live and be a father to your daughters!"
When I told my non-believing parents I was going to attend seminary, my father did not even want to talk about it, my mother broke down and cried. They didn't understand why I had to "go that far". If only they knew, what I did was nothing comparing to the thousands of Christians who put their life at risk for the sake of Jesus Christ every day, some paid the ultimate price.
"Hundreds of men and women are in prison serving sentences that range from a few months to life. They are not criminals who have robbed or murdered other citizens but Christians who were put on trial for their faith in Christ and found guilty. They could have avoided prison by simply denying allegiance to the Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, they are literally “doing time for God.”" (Voice of the Martyrs)
Don't know how this trial will turn out. No matter what the outcome is, I want to remember this face, I would like to meet Mr. Rahman in person when we enter into the glory of God someday. I want to tell him I saw him on American TV saying, "I am a Christian, I believe in the Trinity." He did not look scared, he was smiling joyfully. The only explaination I could have for someone who is facing possible death to act that way, is that he has a life so abundant, a promise so true, and a hope so great that he is at total peace. What happened to Mr. Rahman reminds me of the lyric of this song:
My peace I give unto you
It's a peace that the world cannot give
It's a peace that the world cannot understand
Peace to love
Peace to give
My peace I give unto you
The people I want to meet when I enter into the glory of God:
ReplyDelete1. every member of my family (well, still a lot to work on...). If the Lord won't come before I die, I'd like to see my descendants there too;
2. every member of YCC, esp the ones who didn't join our gatherings anymore;
3. the Patriarchs, esp Joseph, David and Barnabas;
4. Dr Sun Yat-sin