Maybe you didn't know I love to analyze movies and TV shows, in fact, I once almost entered into studying movies when I first graduated from university, not how to make movies, rather movie criticism. Didn't study that, because there was no such course in Hong Kong back then, and I didn't want to leave Hong Kong again after being absent for 5 years for university in Taiwan.I love to watch several TV shows and am glad that no matter where I go, I am still able to get those shows.
I like X-Files, other than I like watching the rather handsome and smart Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and his always skeptical partner Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson), I am intrigued by the fact that though Fox Mulder firmly believes that there is life other than those that exist on earth, he does not believe in God. On the other hand, Dana Scully, a medical doctor, who was sent to partner with Fox Mulder for the sole purpose of debunking his work, is highly skeptical of alien lifeform, but she wears a crucifix around her neck, and states that she believes in God and miracles. Isn't that funny what people 'choose' to believe? You might say, "When you see evidence, you believe." This is not quite the case. Dana Scully, through her line of work with Mulder, has seen a fair share of X-phenominum, however, she still told Mulder, "You have to show me evidence." She is always trying to explain things away with science. Hold on...she is the one who believes in miracles! And most people thinks miracles happen when science ends. On the other hand, Mulder, who is convinced that his sister was abducted by aliens, would always scorn Scully for her belief and having faith, yet, he is totally convinced of something he cannot prove yet. I think other than the X elements in X-files, the well-developed characters of Mulder and Scully contribute to the success of the series.
I also love forensic science, crime stories, criminal profiling, and shows along those lines. I am not particularly interested in the guts and blood, but I am fascinated by how criminals think, why they think they could commit crimes and not get caught. On the other hand, the dogged determination of the people who try everything they can to catch the criminal is worth every ounce of my respect, the process of solving crime fascinates me. What I learned from these shows is that the more arrogant you are, the easier you will get caught. A well planned out crime takes much longer to solve, versus if you think you are good, you will start to be careless, and eventually, you will get caught.
The shows about cold cases have taught me one thing further, judgment will always come, it might take detectives 20, 30 years to catch up with you, but you will get caught, there is always one thread of line that links back to you, awaiting for a detective to discover it, or an eyewitness to finally come forward. Of course, there are more unsolved cold cases than those that are solved, but each cold case that is solved gives hope, and hope is what you need when your loved one disappeared or murdered decades ago. With no hope or any reason to hope, the heart dies.
And of course, as a Christian, I do believe that there will be a final judgment, where all the cold cases will be solved, and God the great judge will sentence the criminals, who were allowed to be free on earth (physically but not in their conscience), to the eternal prison. And of course, we will also know if Mulder is right about aliens!
Your explanations on why you like X-Files reminds me of why I like Jodie Foster's Contact.
ReplyDeleteSince you're interested in movie criticism, may be you should check out these:
The Media and Theology Project from School of Divinity, The University of Edinburgh
Journal of Religion and Film